Monday, February 21, 2011

I am not a foodie - honest!

I am trying to cook something new at least once a month - I would like to do try once a week but I just don't think that is viable for me!

Last night I made caramelised pork belly and with my love's encouragement I plated it up almost like the glossy mag pic.



So I had about 750g of pork belly which I removed the rind and cut into little 3cm pieces. I stir fried in my wok until browned and the tossed in a few cloves of chopped garlic which was also stir fried for about a minute. 1 + 1/2 cups of water, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1 tbs kecap manis, 1 tbs soy sauce, 2 whole star anise were all added and brought to the boil. I reduced the heat and cooked for about an hour stirring when needed. You are supposed to bring the heat back up and boil to thicken the sauce, but mine had already thickened by then.

I served on a bed of rice, and topped with thin slices of shallots and chilli, and corriander and mint leaves. He who hates corriander had continental parsley instead.

Will be having this one again! However I have to find an "alternative" for Mr fussy pants and Master I don't like it even when I really do. At least one delightful cherub asked when we would be having it again!

1 comment:

pixielation said...

The photo looks simply divine! And it sounds delicious too.